1. JOB PARTICULARS
TITLE: Assistant Librarian
ANSWERABLE TO: Digital Services Librarian
RESPONSIBLE FOR: A variety of Library clerical and technical duties
REVISION DATE: October 2023
REVISED BY: QAAM
2. MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Assists the Digital Services Librarian to operate the Library/Information Centre by the provision of a range of professional, clerical and administrative services. This includes performing circulation duties, ordering, receiving and processing library materials and providing basic information services to the user.
1. Undertakes a range of professional library services: classifies new material according to the Dewey Decimal Classification System, catalogues materials, assists with the preparations of accession lists, assists with the compilation of books and materials to be ordered.
2. Assists clients (CAS staff, students and other libraries) requiring specialist guidance to locate information and materials.
3. Assists and guides clients in the use of multimedia equipment – the CD-ROM and computer.
4. Scans newspapers daily for cuttings concerning CAS: photocopies and files the cuttings.
5. Assist the Digital Services Librarian with the annual stocktaking and user needs survey.
6. Undertakes a range of clerical support duties in the Library: receives back and issues out books, videos and other materials to clients, shelves new and returned materials as per the Dewey Classification System, checks through issues records and sends out reminders for overdue items, checks shelves and correctly places any misplaced items, records newly received items in registers.
7. Receives new materials from booksellers and suppliers, checks for quality and quantity, stamps with the CAS ownership mark.
8. Fixes protective covers and spine labels on new materials: re-labels and makes minor repairs to existing materials, as required, to prolong their active life, prepares folders for library materials.
9. Provides guidance to users in the use of the multimedia – CD-ROM and computers – and also when general requests for assistance are received.
10. Collects interlibrary loan materials from other sources.
11. Delivers and collects AV equipment to lecture rooms, as requested by academic staff. Helps with operating the machines whenever necessary.
12. Ensures that students adhere to the rules and regulations of the library and reports any defaulters to the Digital Services Librarian for action.
13. Ensures that students sign the attendance book for security and other academic and administrative reasons. And gives regular library usage reports to the Digital Services Librarian.
14. If for any reason the library has to be closed during its regular hours, inform all users of the imminent closure at least 24 hours before the closure.
15. Photocopies, collates and binds teaching material for academic and non-academic staff as per requisitions.
16. Provides photocopying services for students who produce a valid receipt/photocopying card from the Accounts office.
17. Liaises with photocopier suppliers on the maintenance and repairs of copiers and advises Digital Services Librarian on unresolved problems.
18. Deputises in the absence of the Digital Services Librarian as may be assigned by Senior Library and Information Resources Officer.
19. Undertakes any other relevant duties as required by Digital Services Librarian.
4. QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Diploma in Library Studies, plus two years relevant work experience. Knowledge of library methods and procedures. Must be computer literate. Ability to use library software to input and retrieve data. Good writing and communication skills.